Sugar, Dairy, Gluten and Sin-Free Chocolate Pecan Brownies
These are truly the best winter treat. Rustle up a few to offer with a cuppa to friends and relatives or save them all for yourself for those days when a guilt-free snack is the only cure for a stressful day!
These brownies are ideal for anyone following an anti-candida diet and are nutrient rich too. Pecan nuts provide a good helping of protein, dietary fibre, monounsaturated fatty acid (oleic acid), vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, calcium, iron, zinc, vitamin B6 and vitamin B1.
Xylitol (a sugar alcohol or polyol) is a healthier natural alternative to sugar, found in many fruits and vegetables and commonly extracted from birch wood. Because it is metabolised and absorbed slowly it has little impact on blood sugar levels and can be useful for diabetics. Although it is as sweet as sugar it has 40% fewer calories and is not harmful to teeth. Polyols are not acted upon by bacteria in the mouth, and therefore do not cause tooth decay. Xylitol has been found to inhibit oral bacteria, and is often used in sugarless mints, toothpastes and chewing gums for this reason.
- 110g/4oz Organic Virgin Coconut Butter
- 50g/2oz Dark chocolate
- 50g/2oz Cocoa powder
- 2 Large eggs, beaten and at room temperature
- 170g/6oz Xylitol (most supermarkets sell this under the name of Total Sweet)
- 1tsp Gluten free baking powder
- 110g/4oz pecan nuts, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C or Gas mark 4 and grease and line a 7 x 11 inch standard baking tray with greaseproof paper. Make sure that the paper comes at least 2 inches above the rim of the tin.
- Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil in a bowl over a saucepan or in a Bain-marie.
- Beat all the ingredients together away from the heat. Stir in the chopped pecan nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake for 20 – 25 minutes depending on how soft you like them. They will firm a bit as they cool so don’t over cook them.
- Leave the brownies to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then divide into 15 squares and put on a wire rack to cool.
Other chocolate based recipes:
- Black Forest Cherry Brownies
- Guilt Free Raw Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake
- Superfood Chocolates
- Fridge-baked, Chocolate, Flaxseed & Almond Fudge
- Chocolate Mousse Tart with Fresh Berries
- Basic Raw Chocolate Torte Recipe