Soup is probably one of the easiest ways to incorporate a rainbow of cancer-fighting ingredients without having to cook something really complicated that takes forever.
In this particular recipe I’ve chosen specific ingredients that are rich sources of anti-tumour nutrients like carotenoids, quercetin, omega 3s, vitamin C, curcumin and sulforaphane – plus its gluten and dairy free.
You can easily adapt it to suite your own tastes though. Add in more healthy veg or take some out if they don’t float your boat. You don’t need precise measurements you can chuck everything but the kitchen sink in….Either way the end result is a delicious, filling, super yummy, autumnal treat!
‘Chuck it all in’ chicken and veg soup
- Whole raw chicken(organic chicken is a much better choice if you want to avoid antibiotics, insecticides and other additives)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion
- 1 star anise
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 3 organic carrots peeled and diced
- 3 waxy potatoes unpeeled and diced
- ½ head broccoli cut into small florets
- ½ large swede peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 2 leeks rinsed and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 3 organic chicken stock cubes
- 1 tbpn turmeric
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbpn ground flaxseeds
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Cover the chicken in water and add a bay leaf, a whole onion quartered, 1 star anise and chilli flakes. Boil the whole chicken until cooked, remove from the pan, and strain the liquid. Throw away the star anise, onion and bay leaf and put the chicken stock in a large pot to one side.
- Remove the chicken from the bones tear into small bite size pieces and set aside.
- In another pot boil the sweet potato for about 20 minutes, strain and mash and put to one side. Add the surplus liquid to the chicken stock.
- Put all the diced vegetables into the chicken & sweet potato stock with the herbs, crushed garlic, turmeric and stock cubes, salt and pepper. Add extra water to cover all veggies generously. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Mix in the mashed sweet potatoes and ground flaxseeds to thicken the soup then stir in the chicken pieces.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes to heat through the chicken. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve in a nice big soup bowl and enjoy!