Benefits of Berries:
It’s the season for berries which is hard to miss as every hedgerow seems to be groaning with ripe ready to pick fruit. In fact why spend a fortune in the supermarket when you can pick your own.
If you can manage to squeeze an hour into your weekend schedule, it’s worth grabbing a lidded jar and going for a walk in your nearest countryside spot. Although you can find an abundance of berries in many city hedgerows too – just try and avoid the ones on the roadside which are likely to be heavily polluted from traffic.
If you haven’t eaten most of them whilst you’ve been picking, with a bit of luck you’ll come back with enough juicy sweet berries to make a fabulous late summer pudding whilst at the same time arming your body with health boosting nutrients. If you didn’t know already berries have a reputation for being a superfood for a very good reason.
For example, blueberries are jam-packed with antioxidants that may help keep memory sharp as you age. Raspberries contain a component known as ellagic acid, which has anti-cancer properties. Blackberries have also been shown to have antibacterial activity which will protect you from disease.
Top Ten Benefits of Berries:
- A great source of fibre
- Promote a healthy digestive system.
- Less impact on blood sugar than other fruits
- May prevent and slow down the growth of cancer
- Reduce inflammation, fight infection and enhance immunity
- Improve and support healthy brain function
- Enhance cardiovascular health
- Help to regulate hormone function
- Help protect skin from sun damage
- Anti-viral effects reduce cold sores
Related topics of interest: